Been In A Motorcycle Accident? What To Do When The Other Driver Was Unlicensed

Posted on: 3 June 2021


If you've been involved in a motorcycle accident, and you've discovered that the driver of the other vehicle was driving without a license, you might think you won't be able to recover your losses. Luckily, that's not the case. The driver might not have a license, but that doesn't mean the accident won't be covered by insurance. However, you will need to take the right steps. Here are four steps to take if your motorcycle accident involved an unlicensed driver. 

File a Police Report

If you've discovered that the driver who hit you doesn't have a driver's license, the first thing you need to do is file a police report, regardless of the damage to your motorcycle. The police officer will need to document that the driver was unlicensed. You'll need the documentation when submitting your insurance claim. You'll also need the police report if you need to file a lawsuit to recover losses from the unlicensed driver. 

Take Pictures of the Vehicles

If you've been in a motorcycle accident, and the other driver didn't have a license, make sure you take pictures of the other vehicle. This will help to document the car that was involved in the accident. Pictures are especially important if the unlicensed driver didn't own the car they were driving at the time of the accident. The pictures will document the license plate number of the vehicle, as well as the accident-related damage. 

File a Claim With Your Insurance

If an unlicensed driver struck you while you were riding your motorcycle, you'll need to file a claim with your own insurance company as soon as possible. If the unlicensed driver wasn't covered by their own car insurance, you'll be able to file an insurance claim through your own uninsured/under-insured coverage. That way, the repairs to your motorcycle will be covered by your own insurance policy. Most insurance companies will waive the deductible if you're involved in an accident with an uninsured or under-insured driver. 

Hire a Motorcycle Accident Attorney

Finally, if you were involved in a motorcycle accident with an unlicensed driver, you need to hire a motorcycle accident attorney as quickly as possible. This is especially important if you've discovered that there were other unusual circumstances regarding the accident. For instance, perhaps the driver was a minor or was uninsured. In situations like those, an attorney can examine other avenues to help you recover financial compensation for your property damage and personal injuries.